Sunday, April 30, 2023

A New Quiltmagic Room and May OMG

From the beginning of the year, I've tried to be more organized so that I can have a new sewing space.    I signed up to Declutter Challenge for 2023 with Karen Brown from Just get it done quilts.  It was very motivating for me to watch her Youtube channel, but then day to day following along was too overwhelming for me.  I got discouraged so I took a break from it but the ideas Karen shared are very helpful and I started the de-cluttering; at my own pace.

The first thing I did was clearing out the closet in our spare bedroom and moved my modest fabric stash in there.  For the past few years, that room has become a dumping ground for all sort of things that we don't know what to do with them.   There were computer parts, car parts, lots of old children's toys, and books.  With the help from my DH, we cleared them all out.  After many trips to the Goodwill, he took the old carpet off.  The most beautiful feature of the room is the hardwood floor.  We cleaned up some more so that I was able to move the first sewing table in.  

 

DH was helping me cleanup the soon to be my new sewing space


 More cleaning. My fabric stash in the closet with Franklin watching over and making sure that we're doing it right.  Franklin is a yellow ducky; he's my son's first stuffed animal.
 

The first sewing table moved in.  DH snatched this picture without me knowing.

More stuff got moved in and I started to decorate the room.

 

The first window cover went up next.  There is so much light streaming into the room.   Can you believe that I made this window cover in July 2020?  You can read about it in this post.
   

 
My mini called 'Funky Trees'


I called this room 'Quiltmagic' room.  The name Quiltmagic is my instagram account.  There is so much light in the room that makes me so happy every time I'm in there.  I'm glad that I put the fabric in the closet, away from the sun light.  The window cover fits perfectly!!  It gives me privacy but let the light in at the same time.  Now I'm set to make another one for the other window.  Right now I just use a top that I made sometime ago, as in the picture here.

 

 

Now both sewing tables are in the room.  I put a folding table by the window for cutting and ironing.  I'm testing it to see how this will work.  In a near future, I may move a sewing table by the window to see if it will work better.   I'm in my Quiltmagic room working on new ideas a lot.  I'll say that the room is 60% done.  Off course, there are a few things that still needed to be done, like a new coat of paint for the room, a new design wall, more shelves need to be put in...etc., but they can wait.  It will take a few more months for me to settle into the room.  I want to see if the placement of tables and things is ideal for the work flow in the room.   Right now I'm just so happy that I have a place of my own to do what I love.  No more sewing in the dining room.  

 

'Modern Time' - Pantone Quilt Challenge 2023

I'm excited to join this year's Pantone Quilt Challenge hosted by Sarah and Elizabeth.   You can read more about the challenge in this kick-off post.

Pantone color of  2023 is Viva Magenta.  Sarah did the work to match up solid colors from different fabric manufacturers and I am working with Paintbrush Studios fabric in the color Cherry Blossom and Raspberry.

 

A few weeks ago I made the first block


 Then I finished the top last week. 

 

'Modern Time'  44.5" x 54.5"

I set a goal to finish this quilt by the deadline on May 15. Check out the OMG link here


What are you working on this week?  Whatever it maybe, I hope you're having fun making it.

Thanks for visiting.

Margo 

 

 

In addition to the linky parties on the sidebar, I also link up to:
 
Link to To Do Tuesday here hosted by Carol at Quilt Schmilt
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting  
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese

12 comments:

  1. What a fantastic sunny room! Congratulations on moving in and getting to work! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sunny happy sewing space! You'll make so much magic there. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Margo, your new sewing room is wonderful! I love the pretty wooden floor, and your tables fit in perfectly.
    I love Modern Time too, what a beautiful top.
    Thank you so much for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Organizing a sewing space is an evolution, isn't it? What a fun, bright happy place - no wonder it's your "quiltmagic" room. Many happy hours will be spent in there. Thanks for sharing over at TGIFF today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a designated studio/sewing room/studio. Yours clearly suits your needs as Modern Times is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your space looks fantastic, and isn't it amazing how much it inspires! The wood floors look beautiful. You are smart to give it some time before you call it done. I jump in and move things around at least once a week - lol! Your Pantone challenge quilt is beautiful - such eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your room is great! Love all the natural light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your QuiltMagic room is looking great and I just LOVE your Modern Time. I need to do a deep dive & decluttering of my own sewing detritus and I'm just dreading it -- mostly I don't want to face all of the garment fabric, patterns and notions that I've stashed over the years with the best of intentions, but never following through and sewing any clothing with them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margo your Quiltmagic room is going to be the perfect haven as you are already finding out I'm sure. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday and sharing your progress photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the sewing room. It's looking nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet that feels so good to get rid of the things you don't want and make such a pretty space!!
    Oh and Modern time - SUPER COOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Margo, good luck with your renovations - that is such a big job! I love your window cover :-) Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. I can't wait to see your quilted "Modern Times"!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and will respond with an email. If you don't get an email response, it's probably because you're a "no reply blogger" and I have no way to contact you! If you don't hear from me, check back at the original blog post for my reply.