I finally finished the Love tote bag. Here it is with front and back shots.
I also put 2 pockets in for some accessories.
It was a lot of fun making this tote bag. There are a few firsts with this project;
- First time using Pellon SF101 interfacing for bag.
- First time making French seam so that no raw edge is showing because this bag doesn't have a lining.
- First time using 1" bias tape for lettering.
I have to admit that when I first started making this bag, I only had general ideas about size and how I wanted it to look. Along with everything else, I had to make things up as I went along. I didn't plan to use the French seam and didn't allow extra fabric for that. Plus a mistake in measuring, the bag is 2" narrower than what I wanted.
I like using Pellon SF101, it does make the bag looks nice. For the back, I thought sewing the pockets to the bag would be enough to secure the interfacing to the fabric. Then I saw all this extra space and was afraid that the interfacing would come loose through usage, so I put extra "quilting" on it. The design was unplanned and I really like the way it turned out. I can see more potential for this design in other projects.
Now that the bag is done and I have better idea how to make it, I will start writing instructions for it. Let me know what you think.
Size: 15" x 18"
Fabric: Cotton (I used painter drop cloth, wash it before cutting.)
Interfacing: Pellon SF101
Thank for stopping by. Have a great day.
Now go to The Elmstreet Quilts to check out the Feb. finish link up.