Friday, February 12, 2021

Love Tote Bag Finished

 Hi Everyone,

I finally finished the Love tote bag.  Here it is with front and back shots.

 

                                   

I also put 2 pockets in for some accessories.

 



It was a lot of fun making this tote bag.  There are a few firsts with this project; 

- First time using Pellon SF101 interfacing for bag.

- First time making French seam so that no raw edge is showing       because this bag doesn't have a lining. 

- First time using 1" bias tape for lettering.

I have to admit that when I first started making this bag, I only had general ideas about size and how I wanted it to look.  Along with everything else, I had to make things up as I went along.  I didn't plan to use the French seam and didn't allow extra fabric for that.  Plus a mistake in measuring, the bag is 2" narrower than what I wanted.

I like using Pellon SF101, it does make the bag looks nice.  For the back, I thought sewing the pockets to the bag would be enough to secure the interfacing to the fabric.  Then I saw all this extra space and was afraid that the interfacing would come loose through usage,  so I put extra "quilting" on it.  The design was unplanned and I really like the way it turned out.  I can see more potential for this design in other projects.

Now that the bag is done and I have better idea how to make it, I will start writing instructions for it.  Let me know what you think.

 

Bag info:

Size:            15" x 18"

Fabric:        Cotton (I used painter drop cloth, wash it before cutting.)

Interfacing: Pellon SF101

 

Thank for stopping by.  Have a great day.

 Now go to The Elmstreet Quilts to check out the Feb. finish link up.

 

                     

5 comments:

  1. Nothing better than a cute bag, with inner pockets! It looks very good, and I love the "Love" ;)
    Thank you for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of an unlined tote bag. Making it with a drop cloth is a wonderful idea. Sharing your neat design on Valentine’s Day—how cool is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job on the bag! Love that pocket for the phone =).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Is Pellon SF101 a stiffer pellon?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and will respond with an email. If you don't get an email response, it's probably because you're a "no reply blogger" and I have no way to contact you! If you don't hear from me, check back at the original blog post for my reply.