Monday, September 28, 2020

September OMG Finish

At the beginning of September, I set a goal to quilt my Mini Candy Box quilt.  You can read about it here.  

This is the finished quilt.


Mini Candy Box - front


Mini Candy Box - back


I contemplated how to quilt this quilt for almost a month.  I pinned it on the design wall and looked at it every time I walked by.  It's not a big quilt, 27" x 30.5", so I thought I would do a lot of quilting on it, either straight line quilting or try out free motion quilting.  I even thought of quilting from the back because I just love the backing fabric.  I tried it on a sample piece, but I didn't like the look of the needle marks on the front when I sew from the back.  Back to square one! 

The more I looked at it, a little bird told me otherwise.  The quilt top is very busy, so I decided to do simple quilting on it.  I didn't want too much quilting to distract the eyes from the design.   Then I finished it with facing instead of binding.  I really like the clean look on the front.

Now go check out the September Finish link-up to see many beautiful works here.

Update:

On Sept. 2nd, I wrote about basting, and tried thread basting for the first time.  When I thread basted this quilt, a few thoughts came to mind.

1. I got jabbed quite a bit while using a basting needle.  It's not fun  and I had to be extra careful not to bleed onto the quilt top.  Hopefully this will get better with time.

2. It's a very time consuming process, more than pinning, I think.

3. I didn't like it when the thread ran out and have to re-thread the needle.  That's just me, my bad.

When it's time to quilt, I liked it that the top didn't move a whole lot.  I did sew over the basting thread in a few places, but didn't have much problem when it's time to pull out the thread.  I cut up the basting thread and used an awl to help pull the thread that got run over.  Not a significant problem.  Maybe because I didn't heavily quilt this piece.  

Over all it's quite an interesting experience.  I'll have to do it again with a bigger quilt and see if I would feel the same.

 

I also pulled out some fabric for a new project.  Here is a sneak peek.  




Have a great week everyone. 

 

 


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your finish Margo. It's a lovely wall hanging. I love the way that some of the quilted lines show up on the front on some of the fabrics but not really on others. It really looks great. If you have a chance, please consider linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great design -- and the grid on the back looks so interesting, too. I'll have to tune in to see what becomes of the sneak peek fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great piece and I agree that it needed simple quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thread baste all my quilts, and it is time-consuming, but the way I look at it is that I’d rather spend 8 hours hand stitching than safety pinning. Also, have you considered safety pinning on the table with noodles like you tried with the glue basting? I tried glue basting too, because I glue baste my seams when stitching, but I had issues too with getting the glue watered down enough not to clump and stain, but not so much that it wouldn’t stick. Lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I just noticed a typo! What I meant to say was that I’d rather spend 8 hours hand stitching than 3 hours safety pinning!

      Delete
  6. LOVE this mini, Margo!! You do such a lovely job with this technique. Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! I love how the simple quilting and the facing really let the piecing shine. Thanks for linking to TGIFF :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful finish! That little bird knew just what the quilt wanted. Thanks for sharing about your basting experience. I think I’ll stick to pins. I do remember some of the trials of thread basting when I used to do it for hand quilting. Now I even pin baste quilts that I hand quilt, although I must say, the thread basted ones fit more easily into my hoop than pin basted ones do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and will respond with an email. If you don't get an email response, it's probably because you're a "no reply blogger" and I have no way to contact you! If you don't hear from me, check back at the original blog post for my reply.