Wednesday, September 2, 2020

In Search of a Basting Method

 Hi Everyone,

Today I want to talk about basting a quilt.  I've tried pin and spray basting.  They both have positive and negative aspects to them.  Pinning is a tried and true way to baste a quilt.  The only negative thing is that I have to do it on the floor which is fine with me, except that I don't have floor space in my place.

In recent years, spray basting has gained more popularity among quilters.  My experience with it is very limited because I have only tried it on some of my wall hanging quilts which I think it's a good size for it.  When I tried it on a bigger quilt, like my sister's quilt, you can see the picture here.  The quilt is 70"x80" before quilting, and it didn't work out well for me.  After I spray basted the quilt using pool noodles on a table, I have to heat set the glue with a dry iron which was a challenge for me.  After I repurposed a 30"x72" working table for an ironing table, I still had a hard time repositioning the fabric which shifted during the process of  heat setting.  I gave up, undid everything and went back to pins.  Now it's ready for quilting.

Another problem I had with spray basting is that the glue came out as a blob.  The picture below is my quilt 'Subtraction'.

 

 

To this day I can't get the glue stains off the back of the quilt.  If anyone know how to get rid of the glue stains, please share.  Thank goodness that the stains didn't show up on the top.  Only I know they are there but I would love to know how to get them off the quilt.  😢

The third method of basting, that I know of, is thread baste.  I've read about this sometime ago.  It was the way our ancestors in quilting did it in the old days.  Some still do it now.  I visited a blog by Sophie at  Luna Lovequilts and read her tutorials on thread basting method.  You should go to her site and see her quilts.  I decided to give it a try for my small quilt called 'Mini Candy Box'.  Here it is, all basted and ready to be quilted.

 


I didn't have basting thread so I used an old cheap thread that I have before my quilting obsession days.  I think any thread that can be easily broken will do.   Quilting this quilt will be my Sept. OMG goal.  I'll let you all know how it goes.

 

That's All Folks!!!  See you next time.

 

Stay well and quilt on.......






8 comments:

  1. I have used spray basting. It requires a large outdoor area which I have and I also have multiple banquet size tables. I set them up and put the backing on. Be careful of the seam between tables and make sure the backing doesn't dip. I use masking tape and large clamps to hold them tight. If that step is done right just follow the instructions on the can and go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bummer about the glue! I baste with thread - has it drawbacks, but so far, it keeps things together while I quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hum, I only baste small quilts that are going to be done on my domestic sewing machine instead of the long arm. (I know I am totally spoiled.) I've used Sulky's KK2000, a spray adhesive, -- it can be used inside and within a few days it will totally dissipate so you can't spray and then wait a while to quilt it. I've had really good luck using Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. I usually get it at JoAnns Fabric Stores but I've seen it at grocery stores before too. The other thing that will probably work best is Goo Gone. My husband gets after me when I use it because it has some chemical in it he really doesn't like. I suspect it could get your glue out too. Both would need to be washed after you treat them though. I have to admit I didn't realize there is "basting" thread. I just use what I want to get rid of the few times I baste a quilt. Good luck with getting the adhesive out of the quilt. You might want to try whichever you use on something before you put it on the quilt. I hope one of them works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to need to pay careful attention to those basting threads, if you are going to machine quilt this quilt, Margo. Catching a basting thread while quilting can create a BIG mess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy sewing. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only spray on the batting, not the quilt top or backing. I've never had staining globs like that. I have always used 505 spray but I plan on trying Sulky KK2000 temporary spray.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tried to comment earlier and the comment evaporated. Please forgive if this posting is redundant. I pin baste using the method found shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcF0_hqbOrk&t=154s. I don't use special basting thread, just thread left over from other projects. I make sure that the thread used is easily seen on the quilt, so that later I can pick it out easily. I like it because I can sit at a table while basting. The result is very secure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and will respond with an email. If you don't get an email response, it's probably because you're a "no reply blogger" and I have no way to contact you! If you don't hear from me, check back at the original blog post for my reply.