Tuesday, January 30, 2018

More fabric in the jungle!?! Is it possible?

We are still in Loei, Isan and having a marvelous time.  Today we went to the village of Tai Dam people.  You can read about them in Wikipedia here.

On the second line on the board is Tai Dam written language.
 
Everyone including children all dressed in traditional clothing.


A lovely lady selling snacks and herbal tea

They make their own fabric with 100% cotton threads, mainly in black and some blue.  There wasn't many selections of fabric that day, but I couldn't resist these two pieces so they'll come home with me.  The top piece has smaller threads and softer.  It measured at 4 meters which is about 4.37 yards.  The bottom piece has thicker threads and tighter weave so it's a little stiffer.   The measurement is 3.5 meters which is about 3.83 yards.  The width of the fabric, from salvage to salvage, is one meter or 39.37 inches which is the width of their loom.






May the fabric fairy watch over you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and will respond with an email. If you don't get an email response, it's probably because you're a "no reply blogger" and I have no way to contact you! If you don't hear from me, check back at the original blog post for my reply.