Quilts

Monday, September 23, 2024

A New Project: A T-Shirt Quilt

This will be my first T-shirt quilt ever and I'm excited to have a new discovery and fun experiment.  



These t-shirts belong to my late brother in-law.  My niece gave some to me to make them into a quilt.

I've done some research online on the topic of T-shirt quilts.  There are some unique and striking quilts out there.  I'm not quite sure which direction I will go.  We'll see.

I need to get more supplies, such as fusible interfacing material, etc.  I did get some fleece material that I think would be good for backing. For the batting, I'm not sure which one to use or I may go in a totally different direction.  I might use flannel in the middle layer.  I imagine with flannel, it will be more fluid and softer than a batting material.  Decisions, decisions..... 

Do any of you have any input?  Have you made a T-shirt quilt before?  I would appreciate any suggestions and comments you have.


Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!!


Margo

 

 

 

 

In addition to the linky parties on the sidebar, I also link up to:

To Do Tuesday  hosted by Carol at Quilt Schmilt 

Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese  (Thursday)

Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More  (Friday)

Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty

6 comments:

  1. Oh, a t-shirt quilt! I'm no help because I've never done any, but I will follow your progress with great interest. Thank you for sharing, and I hope you will find great directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No input from me, I've never made one. But I'll be watching closely. My new son-in-law gave me at least 30 (yes 30!) t-shirts to make a quilt. They are sitting in the closet until I feel confident enough to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited for you to be starting this t*shirt quilt journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I've never made one but I do know that you must stabilize each shirt with the fusible interfacing so you are on the right track. At the shop where we worked we sold a lovely very light woven cotton interfacing that was perfect for the task. I would not use flannel as a batting but instead, Hobbs 80/20. It's stable, soft, light weight and well, simply perfect! I look forward to seeing your journey. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/09/25/wednesday-wait-loss-399

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a small one years ago to use to cover the damaged arm of a couch. You are headed in the right direction and that interfacing is the first and most crucial step. After that you can treat the t-shirts like any other fabric to be fussy cut and may prefer pressing the seams open rather than to one side. Also remember that the sleeves and shirt backs can be harvested to use as alternate solid color squares or sashing in a layout if you need them or to make a pieced backing . Decide on the batting after you have made the top and back to determine how heavy you want the finished quilt to be.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and will respond with an email. If you don't get an email response, it's probably because you're a "no reply blogger" and I have no way to contact you! If you don't hear from me, check back at the original blog post for my reply.