Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Charity Quilt

I love the idea of giving back to the community.  Wherever I live, I always try to be helpful.  Now that I live and have a family here, it's only fitting that I am a good citizen in this great country.  Besides church, I volunteered at both my children's schools from day one until they both went to college.  Along the way I made a lot of friends and learned many good things from the moms and fellow volunteers. 

After my surgery, I cut down some places of volunteering but one.  Every week I go to help at the TwinVision Library.  TwinVision is a part of the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults: The Kenneth Jernigan Lending Library in Tarzana, California.  This is a very amazing place.  They have books from preschool through high school and young adults.  Their books are sent postage free to individuals, schools, and itinerant teachers.  They also produce braille calendars too.

Books are available in two distinct formats: Twin Vision or Braille.  Twin Vision books contain adjacent pages of print and Braille, making it the ideal form for teachers and parents to read to pre-school to fourth grade children.  Many of their Twin Vision books contain colorful pictures that can be enjoyed equally by sighted children with blind parents or by students with limited vision. 
Braille books are produced for the use of more advanced students and for upper grade readers.  Titles in this category contain many classics.

I enjoy working there so much.  Not only is it a worthy cause, all the volunteers there are super nice and really fun to be with.

Next month they're having a fundraising event.  I decided to make a Faux Rag quilt for them.  I don't know what quilt has more texture than a faux rag quilt!!

The front of the quilt

The back of the quilt

This is a very soft and warm quilt and gives a very nice feeling when touched.  One of my quilter friends who volunteers at the same place made a quilt with many texture fabrics so that the children can feel the different types of fabric.  Too bad I don't have a picture of her quilt, it looks amazing.




Have a great week and have some fun!





I link to Sew Fresh Quilts: Let's Bee Social and Kat & Cat Quilts: Sew Some Love.




1 comment:

  1. What a wonderfully worthy cause! And a brilliant idea for a quilt with dimension! It will be 'sew' appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and will respond with an email. If you don't get an email response, it's probably because you're a "no reply blogger" and I have no way to contact you! If you don't hear from me, check back at the original blog post for my reply.