Wednesday, January 7, 2015

First anniversary of my blog

Happy New Year!!

This January marks the first anniversary of my blog.   When I first started it, I was just following a recommendation from the Executive Book Editor from the AQS.  At first I didn't think that I would last six months doing this.  I was very new to the social media world and I didn't think I would have any thing to say about myself that anyone would be interested.  For the most part, blogging is for me to keep track of what I've done even though I didn't blog about everything I do.  At least I have some records of what I do as far as my hobbies go. 

I'll have more things to show and tell once my book is published.   I hope that it would be by the end of this year.  I'm extremely excited about the whole thing.  This is going to one of the most exciting year for me.  Right now at least, I can show you some of the fabric I'll be using for couple of the projects for the book.  They are from Maywood Studio and they are the most beautiful flannel I have ever seen.  I can't wait to work on these fabric.  By the way, I always wanted to take a picture of a circle fabric like this one.  Ha ha ha....



I can't start a new year without remembering people who matters to me.  The first on the list has to be my mother.  She is everything to me.  Without her, I would not have any education.  My parent are Chinese immigrants in Thailand.  My mother doesn't have any education.  She can't read or write anything.  In her time, girls only worked around the house until they were married.  And once they got married, they belonged to the husband's family.  That's why Chinese didn't want to waste time to educate girls.  We taught her simple math so that she could do business to earn money to raise seven children after my father left us.   He only paid for boys' education.  My mother vowed that all her girls would get an education, and we sure did.  All five daughters graduated from college and that's because she worked really hard to make it possible.  All my four older sisters and two older brothers worked hard and they all accomplished in their choice professions.  I'm so lucky to have such talented siblings.

The second on the list is my husband, Ted.  After graduated from college, my mother wanted me to come to America to further my education, so I came.  I met Ted when I was working as a computer programmer/analyst for a small consulting firm.  He started working there right after graduating from UCLA.  It wasn't love at first sight, if there is such a thing, for us.  It took me 4 years to realize what a great guy he is and with an encouragement from Rich Patterson, my American dad, I married him.  After 26 years and 2 great children, he still is a great guy.  He will give his shirt to a stranger!

Next on the list has to be my children.  They are the world to me.  Ted and I firmly believe that children will be happier if there is a parent around at home when they come home.  So I quit my job right before my son was born so that I could be a full-time mom.  We read everyday, went walk around the park and did all the things that are good.  By the time Tim went to Kindergarten, he was able to add 3 digit numbers.  Emily was able to read before she started school.  Ted and I volunteered at schools all the way till they graduated from High schools.  They are great kids; so smart and so good.  They can do anything that they set their mind to, and that's the fact!

The last but not least, all my dear friends both from church and out side of church.  I have so many good friends around me.  When I was alone in this country, they became my family.  I was 25 years old when I came.  I felt like I was 10 years behind people my own age.  To my surprise, many of them already lived on their own, away from their parents.  I thought they were so independent and brave.  I'm the youngest in my family and had lived a very sheltered life in Thailand.  My friends have taught me so many things; some taught me to cook, some taught me to quilt, to sew, some taught me about life here in America and so much more that it'll take a full page if I were to list them all.  I've learned and continue to learn so much from these people and I'm grateful to have them in my life.

In all I have to thank my Heavenly Father who loves me.  He has placed all these people in my path for me.  He has given me my family in Thailand and here in America.   He continues to look after me and I'm so grateful.  I'll end with some words from my favorite hymn, How Firm a Foundation.

.....For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,......

Have a blessed year everyone!!


1 comment:

  1. Margo- congrats on your blog anniversary-- I hope it will be the first of many for you. Your quilting is lovely. You have so much to share with your readers-- your beautiful sewing and your amazing heritage. I do hope you will join us at next year's GYB event so that more folks can meet you.
    Xoxoxo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and will respond with an email. If you don't get an email response, it's probably because you're a "no reply blogger" and I have no way to contact you! If you don't hear from me, check back at the original blog post for my reply.