Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Playing catch up #2. Let's make some jam!

We had family gathering at my father-in-law's home.  His white peach tree was loaded with peaches.  We didn't do a good job of thinning them this year, so the peaches are smaller than usual but they are really sweet and juicy.  They gave us some to take home with us, whopping 9 lbs. altogether.  Let's make some jams.


  
Peel and dice all the peach, I got 12 cups and used them all.  Put them in a bowl with 4 cups of sugar and 4 tbsp. lemon juice.  If you want your jam to be on the tart side, put more lemon juice in, one table spoon at a time.  Let them marinate for an hour.
 
  
Put the peach mixture in a large non-reactive pot and bring to boil.  Lower the fire and let simmer for 30-45 minutes.  Mash the peach mixture with potato masher and adjust the sweet and sour taste to your liking.   I like my jam tart, a little less sweet and chunky.  Continue to simmer until the temperature reach 220 F.  Do the cold plate testing until it's done.  You can read more about my jam making method here.
 

Ladle the jam into prepared sterilized jars.  Now I have 8 big jars to share with family and friends. 
 

 Have a great day!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and will respond with an email. If you don't get an email response, it's probably because you're a "no reply blogger" and I have no way to contact you! If you don't hear from me, check back at the original blog post for my reply.